To Everything There Is A Season

A Time For Every Purpose Under Heaven

A blog about raising a young family and keeping Christ at the center of it.



The Cyrs

The Cyrs
Photo Credit: Rachel Dewhurst

Friday, January 4, 2013

A Time for Tile Coasters



Any of you on Pinterest have certainly seen this project! But I thought I would share this super easy craft for those of you who aren't on Pinterest. The first time I made these coasters was during one of our ladies Bible studies and I liked it so much I made several sets this Christmas for teacher gifts. I have gotten so many positive remarks. Here's what you will need:

Ceramic Tiles (find at any home improvement store. I got mine at Lowe's for $0.15 each!)
Scrapbook paper cut into squares (not quite the same size as the tile)
Modge Podge and a brush to brush it on
Krylon Clear Glaze
Felt pads or felt cut up into squares for the back of the tiles

First you want to wash and dry the tiles. Then choose the scrapbook paper you want. I made the coasters in sets of 4. Some I chose 2 different patterns and some I used 4 different coordinating patterns. This is the fun and creative part!

Apply felt pads or squares to the back of your tiles. I prefer the pads and put one on each corner of the tile.
Next put modge podge on the back of the scrapbook paper and lay on the tile (line it up so it's straight). I gently press down on the paper to make sure it adheres well. Also try to get rid of any air bubbles there may be.
Now use the modge podge and over the entire top of the tile and top of scrapbook paper. You want to use enough to get a good hold but not too much so that it doesn't want to dry. 

Wait 15 mins for the tiles to dry then take them outside or in a well ventilated room and place them on a piece of plastic or tarp. Anything that will protect the surface they are on. Now you want to spray a couple coats of the clear glaze. I put one coat, then another about 1/2 hr. later. Let the tiles dry for 24hrs. to make sure they are dry. 
That's it!! It's so super easy and makes a great, inexpensive gift!! 

3 comments:

  1. I printed out instagram photos of the kids on cardstock and used those. T'was a hit with grandma! :)
    Sarah Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter made me some of these for Christmas, only she used pictures of the grandchildren instead of scrapbook paper. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are both great ideas! My sister asked for ones that are made with my kids art work. I thought that was a great idea. We have 2 of the 6 kids done and so far they're turning out great!

    ReplyDelete