To Everything There Is A Season

A Time For Every Purpose Under Heaven

A blog about raising a young family and keeping Christ at the center of it.



The Cyrs

The Cyrs
Photo Credit: Rachel Dewhurst

Friday, September 23, 2011

A Time for The Most Valuable Cookie

I found this recipe in one of my Southern Living cookbooks a few years ago and it has since been a family favorite. The kids, especially, love these cookies. What I love about this recipe is that one batch makes 5 dozen cookies and they freeze great! I have baked the cookies and frozen them and also just frozen the cookie batter and either way works well. This time I let my little helpers make the cookies since they are always asking me to help cook. I admit I'm one of those people who has a really hard time letting the kids help because it's just faster when I work alone! I let them help anyway but it's a definite test of my patience! 


Most Valuable Cookie
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
1 C granulated sugar
1 C plus 2 T firmly packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 C creamy peanut butter
1/4 t vanilla extract
4 1/2 C uncooked  regular oats
2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 C candy-coated chocolate pieces
1 C semisweet chocolate morsels


BEAT butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, peanut butter, and vanilla, beating until blended. 
STIR in oats, soda, and salt. (dough will be stiff) Stir in chocolate pieces and chocolate morsels.
Pack dough into 1/4-cup measure. (I do not do this, I make them much smaller.) Drop 4" apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Lightly press each cookie into 3 1/2 " circles. 
BAKE at 350 for 12-15 minutes (cookie centers should be soft). Cool slightly on baking sheets; remove to wire racks, and let cool completely.


NOTE: When letting little ones help it might be necessary to put them in a time-out for dipping their fingers in the dough (repeatedly) when you are not looking! 






* This is the size I make my cookies and I yield 5 dozen cookies instead of the 2 1/2 the recipe says you will yield. 

2 comments:

  1. These sound totally yummy. 1/4 cup measure would make HUGE cookies! ha!! I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina DoddSeptember 23, 2011

    Sounds yummy and I can eat them because they don't have any gluten!

    ReplyDelete