To Everything There Is A Season

A Time For Every Purpose Under Heaven

A blog about raising a young family and keeping Christ at the center of it.



The Cyrs

The Cyrs
Photo Credit: Rachel Dewhurst

Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Time to Celebrate

The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. ~ Psalm 16:6

This past weekend we celebrated Owen's 5th birthday! My mom and uncle also have birthday's in Sept. so we decided to do one big birthday and celebrate them all together. One nice, last minute, surprise was that my grandparents came also! This was their first time meeting Jena. Jena is their first great grand-daughter so this we a pretty special meeting.
My grandmother is one of the best cooks I know. We all love her cooking and agree that there's just something about Memere's cooking that makes it special. She makes a homemade stuffing that I have loved since I was a child. I had not tried to make it myself even though I've had the recipe for years now. I guess I know I won't be able to make it as good as she does so I haven't bothered. Since she was here I asked her to take me through it step by step. It was a lot of fun and a memory I'll have forever.
Memere's Stuffing
6 med. potatoes, cooked, mashed
Bell's stuffing mix
Bell's seasoning
Sauted onions & celery
Gravy master
Chicken broth
Bake @ 350 degrees

With memere there's no measuring involved!
I feel very blessed to still have both my grandparents alive. They are in their 80's and show no signs of slowing down, praise the Lord! Just about anyone who meets my grandmother likes her. She has such a fun, energetic personality that you can't help but love. She's taught me a lot over the years about cooking. I remember one time I tried to make fried rice and it didn't turn out. I called Memere right away and she tried very hard to understand what I might have done wrong. Finally she said, in french of course, "Milly (it's what she calls me), did you cook the rice first?" Me: feeling very stupid said, "oops! no, I didn't". We laughed about that. Thankfully, for Ben, I'm a much better cook now then I was at that time!
I wish I could spend time with my grandmother everyday but since I can't I'm very thankful for the time I do have and try to make the most of the time when I'm with her. Each day we have really is a gift!

3 comments:

  1. My grandmother was an excellent cook also. She could make toasted tuna sandwiches seem like that best sandwich on earth! Her pies were unmatched! So glad you got to spend some time with your family and enjoy "September" birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very blessed that your grandmother has such a big part in your lives. Us kids were never really close to either of my grandparents. Glad you had a great time together and made many more memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so key with someone's recipe to have them walk you thorugh it - sometimes there's little details that make all the difference but that don't show up in the official recipe.

    ReplyDelete